Apply to Speak at Fall 2020 University Commencement Graduation before October 22, 2020
One graduating College of Business student will be chosen to deliver a brief inspirational speech at the virtual University commencement (December 12, 2020).
Commencement Student Speaker Responsibilities: It is a great honor to be selected as a commencement speaker for the College of Business. The individual is chosen to represent the 2020 graduating class of the College of Business. Only one student speaker may be chosen from each college to speak in front of approximately a few thousand students, faculty, parents, alumni and guests.
- The ideal commencement student speaker should strive to inspire and motivate the audience (both graduates and guests) in an inclusive manner.
- The content should be relevant, encouraging, and memorable. It should reflect on the mission, vision, and values of the College of Business while including the student’s academic experience and the realm of possibilities for the graduates’ futures.
Required Application materials must include:
- A letter of interest and a brief outline of the applicant’s proposed speech (no longer than two spoken minutes)
- Current resume with Minnesota State Mankato accomplishments, involvement and/or special recognition (e.g. Leadership, student organizations, committees or boards, volunteerism, awards, scholarships, research or unique study opportunities)
- Submit materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria for College of Business Commencement Student Speaker will be based on:
- Graduate or undergraduate
- Strong academic performance (Minimum 3.0 GPA and in good standing)
- Demonstrated involvement as a College of Business student and impact to Minnesota State Mankato
- Audition (quality of speech and public speaking skills)
Upon receipt of submissions, three finalists will be asked to present their speech to the Commencement Speaker Selection Committee. The Committee will provide any additional assistance to the student speakers in preparation for the University Commencement Ceremony and the College of Business Reception.