The internship opportunities available to Minnesota State Mankato Marketing students provide students with a rich extension of the classroom experience. Each internship is designed to provide the student with a learning experience not possible in the traditional classroom setting. Students are not only exposed to many of the functional areas of marketing and international business while participating in internships, they also gain valuable organizational experience working as part of a marketing or international business team. Performance in an internship can help build a student's professional network, transition into a job offer or it can serve as a reference for a full-time job application.
Marketing internships are available at a variety of organizations, both for-profit and non-profit, and can be made up of traditional marketing, online and social media marketing, sales or other marketing related tasks and can usually be found year-round. A student who has a part-time job doing Marketing-related work may earn internship credits.
We strongly encourage internships for Marketing graduates. If you would like additional assistance after reviewing the resources on this page, please contact the Internship Office.
The College of Business requires that you register for the term when you are doing your internship. You cannot earn credit retroactively for an internship that is already complete.
If you need help finding an internship please email email@example.com or schedule an appointment by calling 507-389-2963.
1. 135 hours of work is equivalent to three credit hours of internship.
2. The job duties in the position must primarily be marketing or marketing-related (80% or more).
3. The person you report to, or your company mentor, should be in a marketing or marketing-related.
Unsure If Your Internship Qualifies? Email the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Use the following format for labeling ALL internship documents: LastnameFirstname_nameofdocument
1. Goals Statement
In a one-page letter briefly summarize your academic and professional background, your career goals, and your internship objectives. The internship objectives are the specific things you hope to learn, experience, and achieve by doing this internship. This letter should be written in a format similar to a standard cover letter and be addressed to the Department Chair.
2. DARS Report
Access your DARS. Copy and paste this document into Word before attaching to your application.
INTERN GATHERS FROM EMPLOYER
3. Job Description (From Employer)
This document lists your duties and the projects you'll work on during your internship.
4. Internship Offer Letter (From Employer)
Letter should be written on company letterhead and include your start date, end date, and number of hours you'll work each week.
IF REGISTERING FOR CO-OP STATUS, INTERN COMPLETES
5. Co-Op Eligibility Process Form & Agreement
Complete Co-Op Eligibility Process Form and Agreement - Only required if pursuing co-op status.
[PDF] Click here to learn more about what Co-Op entails. (119 KiB)
Please schedule an appointment by calling 507-389-2963 or email email@example.com if you have additional questions about Co-Op status.
Steps for Completing the Co-Op Eligibility Process Form and Agreement
- Student needs to print, sign name, and list techID and date
- List the start and end date for your internship and the academic term
- List the company name and your position
- Company supervisor needs to sign and date
- Department Chair signs as both department chair and instructor
- Once all of these signatures have been provided. please upload this document to your online profile (Click “Add Attachment” at the bottom of the application to upload) - You do not need the registrar's signature to upload this document to your online profile
The Registrar's office will keep this document and will make sure you have permission to register for the co-op course.
Obtaining Permission to Register
1. Log in to your COB Internships account using your StarID and password.
2. Click “Experiential Learning” from the menu on the left side of the page.
3. Click the purple “Add New ” button.
4. Complete all required fields.
5. Click “Add Attachment” at the bottom of the application to upload the required documents.
6. Choose “Save as Draft” if you wish to come back and make changes to the application before submitting it.
7. Click “Submit” once your application is complete.
8. Email your Department Chair letting them know you submitted your application.
Important Note: If you haven’t received confirmation of your application within one week of submitting your application, please reach out to your Department Chair.
Once you have gotten permission from your Department Chair, register for the course in eServices.
MRKT 498 (Up to 3 credits) — Marketing Internship Credit
Satisfies one of the elective courses required by each Marketing major. You will have to pay for these credits like any other class.
MRKT 497 (Up to 9 credits) — Additional Internship Credits
Allows students to earn additional credits that will count towards their overall credit total, but do not count towards their major or other required goal areas. You still have to pay for these credits like any other class.
MRKT 398 — MRKT Co-Op Status
Zero credit full-time student status. Click here to learn more about what Co-Op entails.
If you have questions about which course to register for please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Before your internship ends, and you are able to receive a passing grade, you must complete the following.
1. Stangler Internship Initiative Modules
- Complete the Stangler Internship Initiative modules on D2L.
- It is highly encouraged to complete them before your internship starts to be prepared for the professional workplace from day one!
- You must complete the modules before you can receive a final grade.
2. Final Employer Evaluation
- Your employer will receive an email with a link to the evaluation.
- This email will go out 3 weeks before the end of the semester and must be completed before the end of your internship.
- It is the student’s responsibility to remind their supervisor to complete this evaluation. If your supervisor needs a new copy of the evaluation link, email email@example.com. Please suggest to your supervisor to check their spam folders.
3. Final Self Evaluation, Program Evaluation, and Semester Report Surveys
- You can access these surveys as early as 3 weeks before the end of the semester and must be completed before the semester ends, regardless of when your specific internship ends.
- The surveys can be accessed from the “Experiential Learning” homepage of your account.
- You must complete all of the surveys before you can receive a final grade.
4. Final Written Paper
- The final paper should be 5 pages including the following:
- Brief description of the background of the industry and organization you were associated with during the internship. Include the short-run and long-run outlook of the organization and the possibilities of future positions for college graduates with this organization and other organizations in the same field (approx. 1 page).
- Briefly describe the major areas for which you were responsible during your internship (approx. 1 page).
- Review the detailed list of objectives for the internship experience that you submitted with your internship application. Examine and discuss how each objective was met or not met. This review should represent around 50 percent of the paper (approx. 2 pages).
- Evaluate how well the internship met your internship goals. Relate your internship to your academic training. How could your internship experience have been improved? Provide other comments that are relevant to your internship experience (approx. 1 page).
- Other comments you have to offer.
- The report should be typed, meet collegiate writing standards and be 5 pages in length. Both the content of the final report and the quality of your writing will affect your grade which will be given by your Department Chair.
The final paper must be uploaded to your COB internships account before the end of the semester.
log in with your Star ID & password
click Experiential Learning on the left side menu
click EDIT below where your internship is listed
scroll all the way to the bottom and click Add Attachment
click Submit once it is uploaded
Important Note: All internship course requirements are due the Friday before Finals Week. If your internship continues after the semester ends and you will not be able to complete the requirements by the deadline, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate deadline.