MAcc Internships for Credit
MAcc internships facilitate meaningful career progression for MAcc students. An internship provides the student with an opportunity to extend what they have learned in the classroom and helps them determine which career path in accounting they want to pursue. Performance in an internship can transition into a job offer or it can serve as a reference for a full-time job application. Many firms will not hire an accounting graduate without an internship.
MAcc internships are available at public accounting firms, large and small private businesses and select governmental agencies. Most internships at public accounting firms are available in the Spring semester. There are also a limited number of opportunities during the summer. A student who has a part-time job doing accounting-related work may earn internship credits.
We actively encourage internships for MAcc students. If you'd like additional assistance after reviewing the resources on this page, please contact the Internship Office.
1. 135 hours of work is equivalent to three credit hours of internship.
2. The job duties in the position must primarily be accounting or accounting-related (80% or more).
3. The person you report to, or your company mentor, should be in an accounting, or acounting-related field.
Important Note: Email the job description to email@example.com if you are unsure whether your internship qualifies or not.
1. Goals Statement
In a one-page letter briefly summarize your academic and professional background, your career goals, and your internship objectives. The internship objectives are the specific things you hope to learn, experience, and achieve by doing this internship. This letter should be written in a format similar to a standard cover letter and be addressed to the Department Chair.
INTERN GATHERS FROM EMPLOYER
2. Job Description (From Employer)
This document lists your duties and the projects you'll work on during your internship.
3. Internship Offer Letter (From Employer)
Letter should be written on company letterhead and include your start date, end date, and number of hours you'll work each week.
Obtaining Permission to Register
- Log in to your COB Internships account using your StarID and password.
- Click “Experiential Learning” from the menu on the left side of the page.
- Click the purple “Add New” button.
- Complete all required fields.
- Click “Add Attachment” at the bottom of the application to upload the required documents.
- Choose “Save as Draft” if you wish to come back and make changes to the application before submitting it.
- Click “Submit” once your application is complete.
- Email the MAcc Director letting them know you submitted your application.
Once you have gotten permission, register for the course in eServices.
MAcc 670 (Up to 4 credits) — MAcc Internship Credit
Satisfies one of the elective courses required by a MAcc student. You will have to pay for these credits like any other class.
If you have questions about registering please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Before your internship ends and you are able to receive a passing grade, you must complete the following.
1. Stangler Internship Initiative Modules
- Complete the Stangler Internship Initiative modules on D2L.
- It is highly encouraged to complete them before your internship starts to be prepared for the professional workplace from day one!
- You must complete the modules before you can receive a final grade.
2. Final Employer Evaluation
- Your employer will receive an email with a link to the evaluation.
- This email will go out 3 weeks before the end of the semester and must be completed before the end of your internship.
- It is the student’s responsibility to remind their supervisor to complete this evaluation. If your supervisor needs a new copy of the evaluation link, email email@example.com. Please suggest to your supervisor to check their spam folders.
3. Final Self Evaluation, Program Evaluation, and Semester Report Surveys
- Access the surveys from the Experiential Learning page of your account.
- You can access these surveys as early as 3 weeks before the end of the semester. They must be completed before the semester ends, regardless of when your specific internship ends.
- You must complete all of the surveys before you can receive a final grade.
4. Final Written Paper
- Click here for the final paper guidelines.
The final paper must be uploaded to your COB internships account before the end of the semester.
log in with your Star ID & password
click Experiential Learning on the left side menu
click EDIT below where your internship is listed
scroll all the way to the bottom and click Add Attachment
click Submit once it is uploaded
Important Note: You will not receive any information for the internship course on D2L. Everything will be processed through our internship website.
Important Note: All internship course requirements are due the Friday before Finals Week. If your internship continues after the semester ends and you will not be able to complete the requirements by the deadline, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an alternate deadline.