What should I do if I took a class in my major at another institution?

If you took a class at another institution that is required for your major at Minnesota State University, Mankato, you must first have your official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar at MSU. Once your transcript has been processed by the Office of the Registrar, the transfer courses will be converted to MSU courses in one of two ways: generic or equivalent. A generic course (i.e. ACCT TRF) indicates that the course is not equivalent to an MSU course. If the course is required for your major and you believe it is equivalent or substitutable to an MSU course, you must bring a course syllabus or course description of the course transferred in to the Department Chair. For example, if a student took a management course at another institution and he/she believes it might be "equivalent" for the MSU course MGMT 200, then the student should meet with the Management Department Chairperson. Only the Department Chairperson can determine if a transfer courses are substitutable.