Graduation SpeakerPage address: http://cob.mnsu.edu/graduation_speaker.html
One graduating College of Business student will be chosen to deliver a brief inspirational speech at the University commencement on Saturday, May 5, 2018. This student will also be recognized at the College of Business reception, which precedes the University commencement ceremony.
Students competing for this honor must submit application materials (listed below), by March 1, 2018 at 5 p.m. to Renee Grams, email@example.com, or 507.389.5420 in the College of Business Dean’s Office, 120 Morris Hall.
Commencement Student Speaker Responsibilities: It is a great honor to be selected as a commencement speaker for the College of Business. The individual is chosen to represent the 2018 graduating class of the College of Business and the entire student body at the University Commencement. Only one student speaker may be chosen from each college to speak in front of approximately a few thousand students, faculty, parents, alumni and guests.
- The ideal commencement student speaker should strive to inspire and motivate the audience (both graduates and guests) in an inclusive manner.
- The content should be relevant, encouraging, and memorable. It should reflect on the mission, vision, and values of the College of Business, while including the student’s academic experience and the realm of possibilities for the graduates’ futures.
- The College of Business student speaker will also be required to attend the College of Business reception to be recognized. The reception is a time for only College of Business graduates and guests to reflect on accomplishments in a more personal setting.
Required Application materials must include:
- A letter of interest and brief outline of the applicant’s proposed speech (no longer than two spoken minutes)
- One letter of recommendation from a College of Business faculty or administration
- Current resume with Minnesota State Mankato accomplishments, involvement and/or special recognition (e.g. Leadership, student organizations, committees or boards, volunteerism, awards, scholarships, research or unique study opportunities)
Criteria for College of Business Commencement Student Speaker will be based on:
- Graduate or undergraduate
- Strong academic performance (Minimum 3.0 GPA and in good standing)
- Recommendation by Faculty member (including Department Chairpersons)
- Demonstrated Involvement as a College of Business student and Impact to Minnesota State Mankato
- Audition (quality of speech and public speaking skills)
Upon receipt of submissions, three finalists will be asked to meet with the Commencement Speaker Selection Committee to deliver the speech. The Committee will provide any additional assistance to the student speakers in preparation for the University Commencement Ceremony and the College of Business Reception.